- 07/27/2010 - is now running on a brand new server, ready for the future updates!

BBS : El Jefe
USA : Tuscan Sun
USA : Polar Star
USA : Kisses
BMU : Balaju
PYF : Tribu
USA : Miss Tricia
FRA : Celestial Hop
FRA : Stanley
FRA : Passionata


All that shine isn't always gold !

General DiscussionsAbout YardsAbout Yachts 
Posted by Mark D. | 05/07/2010 @ 09:10 | Reply
Good to see you back in business. What amazing photos from Nice - very hard to imagine such bad weather in such a beautiful place.
Posted by Yachtspotter | 05/05/2010 @ 13:00 | Reply
There was a big storm on the Cote d'Azur yesterday. All beaches were destroyed between Cannes and Nice. A bad news just one week before the opening of the Cannes Film Festival. There is no report of damages on yachts, even if the jetty of the old port of Cannes was partially destroyed. See pictures from Nice :
Posted by Marian | 06/29/2009 @ 09:00 | Reply
I've just put several Pari salvage pix in here :
Posted by Gross-Segler | 06/28/2009 @ 00:05 | Reply
Pari (39.8m Malta-flagged motor yacht) entered Villefranche graving-dock at 23h00 Saturday after being towed round Cap Ferrat from what is now known as the Mirabella V rocks. Her sunken stern would not clear the sill of this antique dock (a classified monument) so the main dock pump had to be harnessed to empty the water quicker than it was coming in through the bottom leaks. The stern parachutes had had to be removed to enter the narrow dock entrance, and she is listing 8 degrees to starboard. She will now remain afloat there with pumps running until Monday when the dock gate can be fitted and the ship docked down. A remarkable salvage operation, but the weather has remained favourable since Pari dragged ashore in the early hours of Saturday 30th May. It remains to be seen whether the ship is worth rebuilding, but one remembers the Midsummer which was successfully restored after dragging ashore in Villefranche Bay 10 years ago.
Posted by Gross-Segler | 06/27/2009 @ 20:15 | Reply
Pari off the rocks this evening after four weeks high and dry off David Niven's villa, Cap Ferrat. Now under tow round the Cap towards Nice or more likely Villefranche Bay. Still supported by parachutes around stern, and pumps running.
Posted by Yachtspotter | 06/24/2009 @ 09:00 | Reply
One more on the rocks, the Benetti 27m Nine Moon. One dead man. Link :
Posted by JK | 06/23/2009 @ 09:00 | Reply
Another yacht on the rocks :
Posted by Yachtspotter | 05/31/2009 @ 20:05 | Reply

It seems that we were at the same place at the same moment! :)

Few news today. The yacht is still at the same place. A Zodiac was cruising around, maybe some divers are working on the hull. The Abeille Flandre left the area at 11h30. The Ailette is still standing by near the yacht. The weather was the same this afternoon (bad), the wind should stop tomorrow.
Posted by John | 05/31/2009 @ 20:00 | Reply
There is a bit of video of M/Y Pari on the rocks and some images here :
Posted by Yachtspotter | 05/30/2009 @ 23:55 | Reply

According to the divers, there is some damage to the hull at several different points. The weather is still unfavorable, so the salvage is delayed until tomorrow or later depending on the weather. Tonight when I left, the divers were leaving too, the salvage teams were back on the tugs, the smaller harbor tugs from Nice left the area, the Abeille Flandre and the Ailette are standing by near the yacht, and a small team of people were on the yacht. I will be there tomorrow to bring you more details about this sad event.
Posted by Yachtspotter | 05/30/2009 @ 23:50 | Reply

The anti-pollution tug Ailette arrived at 18h00, this is the same ship that was involved in the salvage of Mirabella V. According to the authorities, there is no pollution, but I was there, and I can say that there is a smell of diesel fuel. People said that the smell was stronger this morning and there was some speculation about 30,000 litres of diesel being spilled, but there are no facts to back that up at this time.
Posted by Yachtspotter | 05/30/2009 @ 23:45 | Reply

Nobody was injured, but... according to what I heard on the piers, two crew were pulled from the sea, a few managed to make it to the beach in the tender (see picture), and the others were taken off by helicopter. The captain was said to have stayed on board and when I arrived the team of the Abeille Flandre was also on board.
Posted by Yachtspotter | 05/30/2009 @ 23:40 | Reply

The reason of the accident is still unknown, but some feel that it may have been a failure in the mooring system. The tug Triton and two pilot boats, from the harbour of Nice were the first to arrive on scene. At the same time a Navy helicopter also arrived. According to people on shore, Rising Sun circled around trying to assist, but was unable to approach due to her size. The tug Abeille Flandre (see picture) arrived at 14h00.
Posted by Yachtspotter | 05/30/2009 @ 23:35 | Reply

The yacht is wedged between rocks of the Rompa Talon, a little outcropping near the harbour of St. Jean Cap Ferrat, precisely the same place where Mirabella V was some years ago. Thanks to her keel, Mirabella V never made it all the way to the rocks.
Posted by Yachtspotter | 05/30/2009 @ 23:30 | Reply

The yacht Pari went onto rocks off St. Jean Cap Ferrat this morning, at 4h30. The sea was rough, with a wind of 25 knots coming from the Northeast. This area does not offer any protection from wind and seas from that direction.
Posted by NOK | 02/04/2009 @ 19:00 | Reply
MY Katrion was dropped and damaged at a yard in California on January 19th.
Posted by Yachtspotter | 02/02/2009 @ 16:05 | Reply
Man charged for Capt. Gollan's murder :
Posted by Yachtspotter | 01/23/2009 @ 17:00 | Reply
The captain of Perseus was murdered last night in Antigua :
Posted by David | 10/08/2008 @ 17:30 | Reply
Check this out :

They had a pilot onboard apparently, so were in the right. The small boat lost control when their main sheet got stuck... guess they didn't see the massive wall of sail bearing down their neck. The owner has commented in the posts below.
Posted by Gross-Segler | 09/23/2008 @ 11:00 | Reply
A nine-year-old French boy was mortally injured in a jet-ski accident off Beaulieu (French Riviera) on Saturday morning 20 September.

He was the son of a crew-man on a 36-metre motor yacht, who had embarked his wife and two sons for an end-of-season day out. Two jetskis were put in the water from the anchored yacht, and it is reported that the nine-year old was driving one of them - a Yamaha GP 1300 cc - when he hit the yacht and suffered a cerebral hemorrhage. He died in St-Roch Hospital in Nice. His father was apparently driving the other jet-ski with his other son behind (5 years old). I have not been able to identify the yacht (white hull, two domes on the mast spreaders). Reported in Monaco-Matin of 22 and 23 September.

There was a Beaulieu precedent 6 years ago when a prominent resident and very experienced jet-skier killed himself in a similar accident.
Posted by Yachtspotter | 09/04/2008 @ 09:15 | Reply
According to the last reports, it's not the Turkish-built Mana, it's the 102ft built by Versilcraft in 1995.
Posted by NOK | 09/04/2008 @ 09:10 | Reply
Check this report:
Posted by Martin | 09/02/2008 @ 09:05 | Reply
The yacht is Mana. Please see following article published in todays Kathimerini :

"A pleasure boat that had set sail from Spetses to Kalamaki on Sunday morning sank in the afternoon after a fire broke out on board, the Merchant Marine Ministry said yesterday, adding that the five passengers and six crew on board had been evacuated safely from the vessel. The 30-meter Mana was passing the southeast coast of Poros when the fire broke out in the vessel's engine for reasons that were unclear. The blaze quickly swept through the boat which subsequently sank."
Posted by Vincent | 09/02/2008 @ 09:00 | Reply
The English website edition of the Greek news paper Kathimerini is publishing the following on 01-09-08 :

"A pleasure boat on which the Princess of Saudi Arabia and other members of the royal family had been travelling off Poros was evacuated by rescue workers yesterday after a fire broke out aboard the vessel. The yacht, which had been a few nautical miles off the southeast of the island when the fire broke out, sank shortly afterward. The cause of the blaze was unclear."

Link :
This is all I know perhaps you have found more information?
Posted by Jacques | 08/25/2008 @ 13:30 | Reply
Yes, I watched that on TV. The name of the yacht was not revealed, they just said "un luxueux voilier". But the pictures used on the channel France2 are those of Tiara! There were 4 armed pirates. And it was off Porto Vecchio. It's difficult to know if the pirates came from Corsica or Sardinia.
Posted by Yachtspotter | 08/25/2008 @ 12:30 | Reply
Seen on the French TV news, the sail yacht Tiara was attacked by pirates yesterday. The attack took place off Corsica. The pirates were just interested by the containing of the safe. Then they disappeared on a fast boat.
Posted by Max881 | 08/22/2008 @ 13:15 | Reply
Benetti Nine Moons on the rock in Greece (no damage) :
Posted by Kristian | 08/05/2008 @ 17:00 | Reply
The Azimut 105 is called Freedom.
Posted by Kristian | 08/03/2008 @ 19:00 | Reply
The 105 Azimut which ran aground a few days ago is at Porto Cervo Marina, I will get the name later. The Azimut has floating airbags on her aft to keep her from sinking.
Posted by Kristian | 08/01/2008 @ 23:35 | Reply

Here is a picture.
Posted by Yachtspotter | 08/01/2008 @ 23:30 | Reply
Thanks for the news Kristian. If you have an idea of her name and her future, please send an email!
Posted by Kristian | 08/01/2008 @ 23:00 | Reply
An Azimut 105 ran aground in the Romazino Bay in Sardinia, after probably hitting a rock, or reef which is very common in the area. Note: she hit the rock, and filled up very fast, and when the coast guards arrived her aft section was deep in the water.
Posted by Nancy | 07/30/2008 @ 09:15 | Reply
The sailing yacht, Timoneer, suffered a bad engine room fire in Nantucket Harbor three weeks ago. According to the Nantucket newspaper the fire started while the crew was working on one of the generators. The automatic fire suppression system failed to deploy and hand-held fire extinguishers were inadequate to fight the blaze. The crew closed all of the ports to the engine room to starve the fire of oxygen. The local fire department had difficulties with water pressure on the dock but eventually the blaze was extinguished. The damage was estimated at up to $300,000. No one was injured and the yacht will remain in Nantucket Harbor until a tow can be arranged to a shipyard capable of undertaking the repairs.
Posted by Steve T. | 07/18/2008 @ 23:20 | Reply
Timoneer had a fire break out on July 11 2008 in the Nantucket Boat Basin. More info at
Posted by NOK | 04/29/2008 @ 23:10 | Reply
Le Ponant is now out of water. Pictures tomorrow.
Posted by Yachtspotter | 04/27/2008 @ 20:30 | Reply
According to the news on TV, Le Ponant will stay a week in the yard for maintenance and paintjob. She will start again her cruises in Italy on May 5th.
Posted by LF | 04/27/2008 @ 15:00 | Reply

Le Ponant just arrived at Monaco Marine in La Ciotat, France.
Posted by John L. | 04/12/2008 @ 15:50 | Reply

What's happened to One More Toy? She arrived in this poor condition at Hurricane Hole, Nassau three days ago.
Posted by Yachtspotter | 04/11/2008 @ 19:20 | Reply
Happy end for Le Ponant. The mini-cruise ship was attacked by pirates off Somalia, in the Gulf of Aden, one week ago. The 30 crew were released this morning, when the ship owner payed a ransom. The crew was safety shipped onto a French frigate. Then commandos were dropped on Le Ponant, where six pirates were arrested, three others were killed (unofficially sources), and a part of the ransom was recovered. Le Ponant is now on way to Djibouti.
Posted by Capt Tom | 04/04/2008 @ 14:15 | Reply
Legacy has finally been freed from her sandy perch of more than two years. This has been an exciting story to cover, and we'll continue to bring you the latest as Legacy is eventually towed to Miami, inspected, and shipped to Italy for refurbishment. Get the latest info including an interview with her owner at :
Posted by Jean-Luc | 03/18/2008 @ 13:20 | Reply
I found this video of Giant I. It gives an idea of the fire which occured last year :
Posted by Sea Fever | 02/27/2008 @ 19:00 | Reply
An article about Legacy :
Posted by Castlerock | 02/26/2008 @ 18:15 | Reply
After a long battle, both legal and logistical, the stranded Perini Navi Legacy is finally free !!
Posted by PB | 02/26/2008 @ 13:30 | Reply
Cartography for the area is good but the marking could be better in my oppinion. Efforts are being made to improve the situation but these changes are hard to keep up with. There is no substitute for local knowledge.
Posted by Yachtspotter | 02/25/2008 @ 19:05 | Reply
Yes that's right, Velsheda also ran aground in the same area. According to PB, "she did not seem to suffer damage. She is quite deep and must have touched on the sandy bottom. She spent about five minutes stationary and then backed off the reef".
Posted by gushl | 02/25/2008 @ 19:00 | Reply
Seems to be very fashionable to run into this particular reef - the comments on a Flickr photo would suggest Velsheda had an encounter with it earlier in 2008. Strange co-incidence? Or errors in cartography? Link :
Posted by PB | 02/25/2008 @ 12:30 | Reply

Missing from your archive on Tully is her grounding in Grenada off Calivigny Island on April 22nd, 2006. Days later she was towed off the reef.
Posted by Max881 | 02/14/2008 @ 20:05 | Reply
Pictures of the fire at Port Vell :
Posted by Capt Tom | 02/05/2008 @ 16:00 | Reply
S/Y Legacy recovery is making great progress. Story excerpts including interview with owner on line at Look for full story in March issue of The Triton.
Posted by Simon | 01/14/2008 @ 13:05 | Reply
Does anyone know the details about the sinking of Picante... Who was found responsible ?
Posted by Yachtspotter | 12/04/2007 @ 13:00 | Reply
Here is another picture of Dorothea burning :
Posted by Yachtspotter | 11/29/2007 @ 19:00 | Reply
Hot news, just received this info from Italy. It seems that the 5th Leopard Arno from the 31m series (the one exposed at the Cannes Boat Show 2007) sank off Genoa yesterday. The weather was bad and the sea was strong. The crew is safe, rescued by helicopter. It seems that the hull is already recovered and on way to Genoa. No confirmation for the moment. Any more news?
Posted by Yachtspotter | 11/28/2007 @ 23:10 | Reply
Thanks Tom. Also in the last Triton, there is a very impressive (and sad) picture of Dorothea burning, a picture taken by the captain few minutes before her end.
Posted by Capt Tom | 11/28/2007 @ 23:05 | Reply
New photos of Legacy's recovery have been posted at
Posted by David E. | 11/02/2007 @ 22:50 | Reply
From major source, this boat has burned and sunk within last week or so. Was 200 miles off Costa Rico headed to Galapagos Islands. All hands safe and rescued by Naval Ship after abandoning ship. Fire started in exhaust system.
Posted by Charlie | 10/27/2007 @ 00:10 | Reply
Heard there was a fire, and everyone got in life raft ok, someone picked them up after 4 hours.
Posted by Jonesy & Terry | 10/26/2007 @ 19:30 | Reply
Correction : she was lost 100 miles off the coast of Costa Rica.
Posted by Jonesy & Terry | 10/26/2007 @ 18:50 | Reply
We heard on the morning cruisers' radio net today that the yacht Dorothea was lost yesterday - burned to the waterline. All crew are safe. The news (rumor) came out of the Sea of Cortez, Mexico. Dorothea (107') was docked here in the Paradise Village Marina (B-dock), Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico this past summer. She was beautifully restored...
Posted by OceanFlorida | 10/12/2007 @ 11:00 | Reply
A story about Never Say Never :
Posted by Yachtspotter | 09/15/2007 @ 00:25 | Reply
Thanks to OceanFlorida and Castlerock for the same link.
Posted by Capt Tom | 09/15/2007 @ 00:05 | Reply
The recovery of the S/Y Legacy is underway. You can see the story on-line here :
Posted by Kate | 09/11/2007 @ 11:20 | Reply

Last week I saw Axioma crash into the town bridge in Trogir, Croatia as she was leaving her mooring on her way out of town. Rather extensive damage to her port side bow and a rather wobbly bridge!

The first picture as she leaves the bridge after crashing, coming towards us, showing the damage on her port side hull - gigantic piece missing above the fairleads on her port side and a long horizontal scrape towards the bow as she was leaning against the bridge. The second showing the buckled bridge afterwards.
Posted by willawake | 08/22/2007 @ 01:00 | Reply
Here is the casualty report from Lloyds list newspaper regarding Giant I : Fire broke out on yacht Giant I at 0630, Apr 26, due to an electrical malfunction. Passengers on board evacuated. Crew evacuated the vessel after fire fighting failure. Tugs from the port of Antalya successfully conducted salvage operations, putting out the fire and cooling the vessel. Fire is out, crew returned to the vessel and extent of damage to vessel is unknown, however, it is reported to be rather severe and vessel would not be able to sail out by itself.
Posted by Max881 | 08/21/2007 @ 23:20 | Reply
There was a fire aboard Giant two month ago. The yacht is at Antalya, Turkey. Is there more news about the damages? A picture :
Posted by Yachtspotter | 07/31/2007 @ 19:15 | Reply

Sad news indeed. Here is a picture of her, taken during the last summer. I also find this picture of her during the fire :
Posted by Marian | 07/31/2007 @ 19:00 | Reply
Another lovely old classic is no more. Lady Candida has sunk off Corsica after a fire :
Posted by Gross-Segler | 06/29/2007 @ 18:00 | Reply
Yes, Lady Moura back in usual berth in Monaco at "Piscine" since noon (with same Captain). Looks wonderful after her 5-week "holiday"!
Posted by Yachtspotter | 06/29/2007 @ 10:00 | Reply
Lady Moura is back on the French Riviera. She will arrive in Monaco in a couple of minutes. After her accident in Cannes, she stood in a drydock in Barcelona to repair some holes in the hull. And she was in Gibraltar (to refuel !?) few days ago. And now she's back to her usual summer berth.
Posted by M&L | 06/06/2007 @ 18:00 | Reply
Sea Bowld is in Charleston. It appears that she suffered some cosmetic damage at the bow during Tropical Storm Barry. Another motor yacht off the bow of Sea Bowld suffered severe damage. I did not get the name but it was a motor yacht in the 70 foot range. It appeared that the winds pinned the yachts along the face dock known as the "mega dock". The 70 footer's swim platform was broken off and I saw extreme chaffing on the port side at the stern. Also extreme chaffing on the wooden docks adjacent to the cleats. My guess is that Sea Bowld's bow was rubbing against this other motor yacht or possibly against a concrete piling.
Posted by Marian | 05/25/2007 @ 11:00 | Reply
I'm told the Lady Moura has four tanks holed, but wouldn't like to say for certain. Some more pix, taken in Barcelona yesterday :
Posted by Merijn | 05/24/2007 @ 20:40 | Reply
Some photos I took of Lady Moura on the Saturday she was grounded :
Posted by SAR | 05/24/2007 @ 18:30 | Reply
About Nadine, the rescue was not easy because of the rough sea state and the presence of obstacles on the deck. For these reasons the first helicopters (Italian Air Force HH3Fs taken-off from Ciampino) that reached the position during the night could not operate the hoist. Consequently, one Italian Navy Unit was positioned upwind in order to get some "surf". The deck of the Nadine was, then, freed of the small helicopter (which was dropped into the water). In the early morning the rescue could begin. The last of the passengers was hoisted by the HH3F right before the sinking. SAR operations were coordinated by the 3rd ITAF Rescue Coordination Centre (Martina Franca).
Posted by V65 | 05/22/2007 @ 12:45 | Reply
Here are some photos of Lady Moura arriving in Barcelona, May 21...,, and
Photos by: Jordi Montoro
Posted by Wayne | 05/22/2007 @ 12:00 | Reply
To Ross from the Nadine. Can you contact me via e-mail ( about the sinking. I was writing a fiction novel using her as the protagonist. I need more information about the sinking. I have a photo of her from 1996. She was beautiful. Thanks.
Posted by Paul Walter | 05/21/2007 @ 20:45 | Reply
Lady Moura is in Barcelona. She arrived late this afternoon.
Posted by Yachtspotter | 05/21/2007 @ 18:35 | Reply
I confirm, and she's not in the drydocks of La Ciotat and Marseille. She's not in Palma too. Maybe she's on way to Cartagena, where she was after her accident in Ibiza last summer. We will know more soon...
Posted by Gross-Segler | 05/21/2007 @ 18:30 | Reply
French press reports indicate Lady Moura heading for Gibraltar, where she often dry-docks from home base Palma. South France drydocks would all be occupied at this season. So she won't be back in Monaco in time for Monaco Grand Prix Sunday next.
Posted by ChrisMM | 05/21/2007 @ 10:30 | Reply
Cutty Sark burned out :
Posted by Yachtspotter | 05/20/2007 @ 18:30 | Reply
Last news : the tug Carangue is leaving the bay of Cannes, on way back to Toulon.
Posted by Yachtspotter | 05/20/2007 @ 16:35 | Reply
According to my news, Lady Moura left Cannes at 15:00, on way to the West, maybe the drydock of La Ciotat... The tug Carangue is cruising, making some circles in the bay of Cannes now. We can imagine that it's tracking the fuel. Any confirmation?
Posted by Eric | 05/20/2007 @ 16:30 | Reply
Any news from this grounding?
Posted by Yachtspotter | 05/20/2007 @ 00:10 | Reply
We're just on May 20 since a couple of minutes, and the tug Carangue ( is arriving in Cannes. It will be interesting to know if it's there to assist Lady Moura, or to deploy something against the pollution...
Posted by NOK | 05/19/2007 @ 20:30 | Reply
Last news : a tug arrived to pull her off. Now she's far away from the rocks, safe, still surrounded by an anti-pollution floating barrier.
Posted by NOK | 05/19/2007 @ 18:30 | Reply
Attached a picture. There were a lot of boats on water during the anchorage handling of Lady Moura. She was obstructed by them, and she ran aground in 4,5 metres of water. A fuel tank is touched with a leak now. A floating barrier was established to stop the pollution. A strong smell of fuel is floating around the Port Canto.
Posted by NOK | 05/19/2007 @ 17:00 | Reply
Lady Moura is aground off the entrance of Port Canto in Cannes. She has a port list of about five degrees and is leaking fuel. Local authorities have been trying to disperse the diesel using boats with outboard engines but are now deploying a boom. Guests and luggage are being off-loaded.

Lone Ranger is trying to pull them off.
Posted by David | 05/19/2007 @ 16:30 | Reply
A friend of mine is on a small yacht, and they are on their way to San Remo from Antibes. The captain turned on the VHF, and heard a message from Lady Moura saying they have run aground off Port Canto in Cannes. I was on the Croisette this morning, and they were anchored between Port Canto, and the Islands. Guess they got a little too close.
Posted by Ross | 04/21/2007 @ 17:30 | Reply
I was one of the guests on the Nadine when she sank. Your story (see message from 09/28/2004) is not 100% correct. The actual date was June 23 1996. We sank on the way to Sardinia.
Posted by Brenda | 03/26/2007 @ 15:00 | Reply
The 90' catamaran Angela Explorer sunk of Hollywood Fla. See link :
Posted by Marian | 03/22/2007 @ 20:45 | Reply
The yacht Findings has been impounded after her engineer was found dead :
Posted by Dan | 03/15/2007 @ 01:00 | Reply
Speaking of Picante, was she raised and scrapped or is the wreck still in place?
Posted by Kevin | 03/14/2007 @ 23:40 | Reply
I found a link to a picture of the Attessa/Huntress/(Immaculata from Overboard) that burned in the 1990s : http://maritimetraditionxyachts...
Posted by Marian | 03/07/2007 @ 13:00 | Reply
Fatal accident in Viareggio yards :
Posted by Luca | 03/05/2007 @ 12:30 | Reply
Un Sunseeker Predator 72 sfortunato :
Posted by Yachtspotter | 03/03/2007 @ 10:00 | Reply
I was searching some details about the late Picante to complete her card (for the posterity), and I find again this sad picture taken when she sank in 2003 :
Posted by Henry | 02/19/2007 @ 13:00 | Reply
Second fire on Alyssa M II :
Posted by Castlerock | 02/06/2007 @ 17:00 | Reply
Here are two links about the Legacy story :
Posted by Yachtspotter | 12/15/2006 @ 12:05 | Reply
Jari, this news was posted by Rmano (scroll down to 10/02/2005). This yacht was a new Astondoa 102. If I have good memory, she was supposed to be shipped from Spain to USA. But the yacht fell from the cargo and sank in the harbour. Thanks to your picture we know that the hull was refloated.
Posted by Jari | 12/15/2006 @ 12:00 | Reply
What is this highly wrecked yacht that I saw in Barcelona few months ago? And what's happened to her?
Posted by Maarten | 12/14/2006 @ 10:00 | Reply
In ref. to Christo303's post of 03/06/2003, here is a picture of that dramatic scene :
Posted by Merijn | 11/09/2006 @ 10:00 | Reply
I took the photo on 7 November in the old port of Cannes.
Posted by Paul Walter | 11/09/2006 @ 09:30 | Reply
When did you take the picture? I saw Najade in St Tropez three weeks ago and at that time everything was normal.
Posted by Merijn | 11/08/2006 @ 17:00 | Reply
Although the 28m Feadship Van Lent Najade does not qualify for this website, it’s still interesting to show that she was badly damaged in an accident, anyone knows the details?
Posted by Yachtspotter | 09/25/2006 @ 10:30 | Reply
The Jongert Tamer II broke her main mast this summer...
Posted by Marian | 09/11/2006 @ 12:50 | Reply
The Legacy salvage is at a standstill :
Posted by Yachtspotter | 07/21/2006 @ 17:00 | Reply

Sad news. The series continues... I find again a picture of her taken in Cannes during the summer 2005.
Posted by Marian | 07/21/2006 @ 14:00 | Reply
She sank this morning. Hope to have more details soon.
Posted by Yachtspotter | 07/21/2006 @ 10:45 | Reply
Maybe too early to say "finished". I'm curious to see pictures of her. It seems that she's in the port of Leuca, Italy.
Posted by Marian | 07/21/2006 @ 10:30 | Reply
It sounds as though the Cardigrae is finished; very sad :
Posted by Yachtspotter | 07/21/2006 @ 08:45 | Reply
Any confirmation?
Posted by Marian | 07/20/2006 @ 23:00 | Reply
Cardigrae VI caught fire cruising past Southern Italy today. Damage is reputed to be extensive, but no injuries.
Posted by gushl | 07/16/2006 @ 23:30 | Reply
Having seen Le Pharaon in Hvar last week, I decided to Google her to find out a little more. I found this interesting, recent story : ...
Posted by Paul Walter | 07/16/2006 @ 12:50 | Reply
They used the two smaller gangways at the stern and the large one in the middle doesnt exist at the moment. They sealed it off with some steel plates so the yacht can be used this summer and afterwards go to a yard and get a new gangway.
Posted by Yachtspotter | 07/15/2006 @ 18:00 | Reply
Rumours said that Lady Moura could be back in Germany for works after her collision in Ibiza. But the yacht arrived in Monaco a couple of minutes ago... Maybe some spotters in the Principality could give us some news of her passerelle?
Posted by Marian | 07/10/2006 @ 11:50 | Reply
More details have emerged about events leading to the arrest of the Constellation :
Posted by Merijn | 07/10/2006 @ 00:45 | Reply
Lady Moura is in Cartagena for repairs, picture :
Posted by Marian | 07/09/2006 @ 11:45 | Reply
The Panamian authorities have seized the 88.5 metre Constellation :
Posted by Yachtspotter | 07/06/2006 @ 11:45 | Reply
Thank you for the link, we have more details now. The collision snatched the main passerelle from Lady Moura (see picture). According to the article it is still on the ground of the port.
Posted by JMW | 07/06/2006 @ 11:30 | Reply
That?s the local paper relation of the accident :
Posted by Philipp | 07/06/2006 @ 10:10 | Reply
Nice article, but full of wrong information. We know that Mouna Ayoub didn't get the yacht but (...) bought Phocea and refitted her at Lürssen shipyard.
Posted by David K. | 07/06/2006 @ 10:00 | Reply has story Billin Dollar Bump in lbiza. The New Flamenco Cruise Ship backed into the Yacht Lady Moura.
Posted by Marian | 07/05/2006 @ 19:30 | Reply
Hot news, Perini Navi Legacy salvage commences :
Posted by Yachtspotter | 07/05/2006 @ 19:15 | Reply
It seems that there was an incident on Lady Moura in Ibiza. A spotter said me that "a cruise ship sailed into Lady Moura. The passerelle is no more, not even connected to the boat and the port aft main deck is touched". It seems that there was an article about that in a local newspaper, but I don't arrive to find an online version. Do you have a confirmation of that?
Posted by Yachtspotter | 06/14/2006 @ 11:00 | Reply

Some news of the Benetti La Venetia. She's still in San Remo, Italy. As you can see on the picture, she's on the ground at the entrance of the Portosole. She's rusting slowly but definitively.
Posted by Maarten | 04/27/2006 @ 10:15 | Reply
Another sad photo, looks like Full Bloom :
Posted by Marian | 04/10/2006 @ 10:15 | Reply
Why the Land?s End grounded :
Posted by OceanFlorida | 04/01/2006 @ 16:16 | Reply
This is the end for Princess GiGi :
Posted by Yachtspotter | 03/14/2006 @ 17:00 | Reply
Nobody knows really for the moment. Some reports say that the tenders' garage could be the origin of the disaster. You can read another article on the Triton :
Posted by Wayne | 03/14/2006 @ 16:50 | Reply
Does anyone know the full story on how MY Full Bloom sank?
Posted by Marian | 03/07/2006 @ 10:35 | Reply
This is the real story of the Nadine, ex-Matilda and her sinking :
Posted by Marian | 03/07/2006 @ 10:00 | Reply
Lady Moura crew member seriously injured :
Posted by Merijn | 02/11/2006 @ 13:00 | Reply
The Triton reports the sank of the Trident Princess GiGi in the Bahamas : Also The 38m Electra run on a reef entering Lyford Cay :
Posted by Yachtspotter | 02/03/2006 @ 14:00 | Reply
According articles on internet, there was a ten minutes fire on Ang Pangulo in the middle of January :
Posted by Marian | 01/30/2006 @ 11:30 | Reply
LGB leaves a crew corpse behind :
Posted by Marian | 11/02/2005 @ 12:00 | Reply
Just been informed that the Cedar Island was towed to Charlston :
Posted by Marian | 11/01/2005 @ 12:00 | Reply
The 110 foot Cedar Island has been abandoned off South Carolina :
Posted by Marian | 10/28/2005 @ 12:00 | Reply
At least one megayacht has been sunk by Wilma and many damaged :
Posted by Yachtspotter | 10/27/2005 @ 12:00 | Reply
The Broward On Seafari sank during Wilma!! The crew is safe.

And it seems that there are a lot of damages on yachts following Wilma : D'Natalin hit a pier, Ohana (ex. Roxana) was hit by a casino ship, etc... Link :
Posted by Rmano | 10/02/2005 @ 12:00 | Reply
A brand new Astondoa 102 fell from a cargo few days ago in Barcelona. The yacht sunk in the harbour.
Posted by Yachtspotter | 09/12/2005 @ 12:00 | Reply
Thank you CR for the details. Here is a picture of Mercedes taken in Newport Beach by David few months ago.
Posted by CaliforniaRed | 09/11/2005 @ 12:00 | Reply
There was an accident in San Diego between the ex-Cover Drive and Mercedes over the weekend. I believe the yachts are in town for the Yachtfest boatshow which starts this week. I think the Mercedes involved is a 30m, late 1980s Versilcraft which has always been West Coast based, it is not one of the Oceanfast's previous Mercedes.
Posted by Marian | 08/28/2005 @ 12:00 | Reply
The news is better for Land's End, divers are working on patching the hull :
Posted by Marian | 08/20/2005 @ 12:00 | Reply
Land's End news not very good, I'm sorry to say :
Posted by Marian | 08/18/2005 @ 12:00 | Reply
She had been pumped out and its confirmed that the captain was not on the bridge when she grounded :
Posted by Marian | 08/17/2005 @ 12:00 | Reply
Pix of the sunken yacht Land's End are in the album

It's hard to believe but news has just come in of a third mehayacht hitting rocks, this time royalty were aboard! More details tomorrow. Link:

A lot of people are asking whether the Land's End will be raised and restored. French law requires an owner whose vessel sinks in French waters to raise it. Her restoration is another matter. The opinion of insurance experts, when she was still sitting on the reef, was that she was a constructive total loss ie. the cost of salvage and repairs would exceed her insured value. Now she is sitting on the bottom it is obvious that there will have been further damage to the interior, deck equipment etc. That said, let's hope that someone takes her on as a restoration project, it would be a great shame if such a classic was broken up.
Posted by Yachtspotter | 08/16/2005 @ 12:00 | Reply
Land's End went onto rocks off Corsica (Sagone Gulf) the August 9. Partly submerged by the bow, the yacht sank completely the August 12. She's now on the ground with 70.000 litres of fuel in her tank. The fuel could be pumped (if the weather is good) by the French Navy the August 17.

The captain was arrested the August 12. He was accused of "endangering life by imprudence and negligence and causing pollution with hydrocarbons by imprudence and negligence". He was released with justice restrictions.

Note also that a woman was killed by the tender of a yacht in Cala de Volpe, Sardinia. And at the same time the yacht Mr Z went onto rocks somewhere in Croatia near the island of Greben.
Posted by Johan | 07/06/2005 @ 12:00 | Reply
The former owner of Reverie has been sentenced to four months imprisonment for bribery by a court in Oslo, Norway. He had paid an official at the Swedish Maritime Administration 100.000 NKR for a skippers license without having to pass through the necessary exams. The story unveiled after he went aground with his powerboat off the Swedish coast. The Swedish official was sentenced to one year and four months imprisonment. Luckily, he didn?t get a full captain?s license, then he might have driven Reverie aground...
Posted by Maarten | 03/23/2005 @ 12:00 | Reply
Feadship Aurora was damaged recently when a casino boat slammed into her in Florida.
Posted by OceanFlorida | 02/17/2005 @ 12:00 | Reply
Charlie Dwyer ("champagne Charlie") is boat captain in Thailand of the Yanneke Too. Link :
Posted by Maarten | 02/16/2005 @ 12:00 | Reply
Story on Samax :
Posted by Result | 01/24/2005 @ 12:00 | Reply
In the early 90's, the world's then largest sportfish yacht, 121' Lady Anna (Denison Yachts) sank off New Jersey coast. The insurers regarded the sinking with such suspicion that they sent a robotic explorer to survey the wreck. They then threatened to raise the wreck to confirm their suspicions. Can any of our yachtspotters finish the tale for me?
Posted by Jelger | 11/18/2004 @ 12:00 | Reply
While surfing the web for info about Lady Lola I found this article. Old news :

Potential oil spill averted

On 3 March, the 83-tonne vessel "Lady Lola" with 15 crew aboard, ran aground in the Itabaca Channel between Baltra and Santa Cruz islands, raising fears of a potential oil spill. Fortunately, the Lady Lola's double hull ensured no leaks occurred and the Insular Crisis Committee, headed by the Ecuadorian Navy to deal with such contingencies, was able to transfer the ship's fuel to another vessel and help in its safe refloating. There was no need for action on the conservation front.

Source : Newspaper La Hora.
Posted by Johan | 10/01/2004 @ 12:00 | Reply
I did some research on the Nadine in some old magazines and I found that Yachting magazine reported that she sank in June 1997.

She was built in 1961 by Witsen & Vis in Holland for fashion icon Coco Chanel with a length of 37 metres. In the 70s she was extended by 4.5 metres through the addition of cockpit and in 1988 she was cut in two halfs and a 9 metre section was inserted amidships by Merrill-Stevens yard, which gave her a complete salon amidships in addition to the more usual aft one. In 1989 she was for sale bearing the name Edgewater and was by then still powered by two 480 hp diesels. In 1993 she was for sale once again, this time bearing the name Big Eagle and repowered with two Caterpillar 3412-diesels (the hp is unknown to me). Her beam was always a very slender 6.8 metres. There was actually a feature of her in February 1993 in Boat International when she was shown at the Fort Lauderdale yacht show. It is a pity that she sank, I have always thought she was a beautiful yacht with her narrow hull and classic lines, although I admit that she was definitely overloaded with toys in her last years afloat.
Posted by Dan | 09/30/2004 @ 12:00 | Reply
Nadine's sinking was indeed caused by the violent waves. A foredeck hatch was smashed, allowing water to flood the crew quarters and bringing the yacht down by the bow. This allowed more waves to break over the fordeck and they caused one of the large tenders carried there to shift, breaking one of the dining salon windows that overlooked the foredeck, which causing flooding on the maindeck. As if that wasn't bad enough, the violent motion of the yacht caused the swim platform to rip off the hull, allowing the lazarette to flood.
Posted by Medrascal | 09/28/2004 @ 12:00 | Reply
Some years ago (I'm terrible for dates... I guess at least 5 years ago or even more) the charter yacht named "Nadine" sank during a storm off the east coast of Sardinia carrying while on board ; according to what people say, a Hollywood hardcore film producer together with his girls, while crossing from Porto Cervo to Capri. Some people may recall her as the 50m yacht that has an incredible number of toys onboard such as a seaplane, a helicopter, 8 jetskis, 4 or 5 tenders and much more including two large glass windows in the master stateroom that allowed to see the sea floor. The yacht (also once called ?Big Eagle?) was originally built in early 70?s with an overall length of 30 meters. Some time later, she was lengthened with an additional 10 meters and then again in mid-80?s of another 10 meters! The result was a 50 meter yacht with the beam or a 30! Well, when the storm struck (I think it might have been the same one when ?Princess Tanya? had broken the rudder an one of the engines of the coast of Genova) the waves where so violent that the boat, according to witnesses, broke into 3 parts! Need less to say one part was 30 meters long and the other two of 10 meters each! Everyone onboard was saved by the Italian coast guard also thanks to all the floating devices the yacht carried.
Posted by Medrascal | 09/27/2004 @ 13:00 | Reply
If my memory holds, I believe that the Sky lounge of Honey Money caught on fire on the night after of Christmas eve of some years ago in the port of Cannes, due to the fire that had broken up (and later completely destroyed) the 36m M/Y Midsummer in the old port of Cannes. Midsummer was a successful charter yacht based in Cannes and the quantity of water that the French fire fighters poured on the yacht, made it cap size in the port and eventually start sinking before she was dragged out of the port and kept afloat by large balloons.The fire on Midsummer was a complete loss of the yacht and the neighbor yacht was Honey Money (today named Harbour Moon) that had resulted in the damage of it exterior and upper deck.
Posted by Yachtspotter | 09/27/2004 @ 12:00 | Reply
Yes Merijn, I think that it's the rest of Janie II, a 135ft Mefasa built in 1991. She burned the 04/15/2004 in Fort Lauderdale. OceanFlorida reported it the day after. I didn't see a picture of her after the fire, and I think that she's totally lost...
Posted by Merijn | 09/26/2004 @ 12:00 | Reply
I found a picture of a totally burned yacht. They are speaking of the yacht of the King of Spain, but it isn't the Fortuna, so they are probably wrong. I have no idea which yacht it could be. She looks around 40m-45m. The picture was made in 2004 in Florida (the link is broken now...)
Posted by OceanFlorida | 05/09/2004 @ 12:00 | Reply
Fort Lauderdale 4/27/04 after 4/26 fire on 157' Newfoundland Explorer conversion yacht...the day after...uuuuugh!
Posted by OceanFlorida | 04/16/2004 @ 12:00 | Reply
Janie II burned yesterday!
Posted by Matt | 04/02/2004 @ 12:00 | Reply
The future Alyssa M II, a former British navy vessel under conversion, was damaged by fire :
Posted by Dan | 03/23/2004 @ 12:00 | Reply
I'm not sure when this happened as there is no date on the article, but here is a link to a story regarding an incident with Talitha G :
Posted by Victor | 03/19/2004 @ 12:00 | Reply
From "Il Secolo XIX", Genoa newspaper :

English man dies on a yacht. The captain of the yacht Al Menwar, 64 meters long moored at Molo Cagni (Amico shipyards), has been found died yesterday afternoon in his cabin by a member of the crew. According to the first police assessments I. L., 53 years old, English, would have been victim of a sudden illness, probably a coronary. The causes of the death will be cleared with the autopsy.
Posted by Yachtspotter | 03/15/2004 @ 16:00 | Reply
Yes Maarten, I find some details about this accident, March 12th. The fire destroyed the yacht. It's very hard to know something about this yacht. Some articles talk about a Lady Kring and some other ones about a Lady Tring. In the two cases, no information. I don't think that she's a conversion, but an old yacht of 40m from the Sixties. Link :
Posted by Maarten | 03/15/2004 @ 12:00 | Reply
A yacht burned down last week in the port of Manilla. She seems to be a 40 or 50 meter old converted yacht. Does anyone know which yacht this is?
Posted by Alex | 01/04/2004 @ 12:00 | Reply
What about the launch of Destini Langkawi at Asterillos de Mallorca on the 23rd of September... I think the picture ( speaks for itself. For those who don't speek Dutch : she titled as a result of a wrong balast during her launch.
Posted by Result | 11/13/2003 @ 12:00 | Reply
Several years ago 164' Benetti Golden Cell was stranded in middle of night off the entrance to Princess Louisa Inlet in British Columbia. Both props and rudders were destroyed rendering the yacht high and dry in this land of 18 ft. tides, requiring full salvage operation including inflatable bladders and tugs. Repair ops required several months at Allied Shipyard in Vancouver.
Posted by Yachtspotter | 11/10/2003 @ 12:00 | Reply
Picante has indeed bitten the dust! I thank James for his spectacular photograph. For the majority of us who saw Picante, it's unbelievable to see her like that!
Posted by Joelemarco | 10/20/2003 @ 12:00 | Reply
Apparently the motor yacht Picante, a 123' Christensen built in 1999, sunk off Palma de Mallorca on Saturday 18th of October. Apparently Picante has been blown against the rocks while at anchor in bad weather. The crew made it off the vessel safely. More details to come...
Posted by Hendrik | 07/31/2003 @ 12:00 | Reply
Katana recently suffered fire on her top aft deck, supposed to be caused by the electric lights. It was extinguished by the crew. The damage was repaired very quickly by the shipyard Ben Mennem in La Cuidad within one week, enabling her to welcome her charter guests for the Film Festival in Cannes and the GP in Monaco afterwards.
Posted by Dan | 07/17/2003 @ 12:00 | Reply
The Feadship Blue Moon suffered a fire on June 8th while in Newport, RI. The fire started because of an electrical problem over the main salon's ceiling. Some electrical problem were reported four months ago...
Posted by Christo303 | 05/12/2003 @ 12:00 | Reply
A very unfortunate story regarding the splendid Brooke MY, Maridome, ex-Stefaren, designed by Jon Bannenberg :

My information comes from a court case and a judgment from the US 9th Circuit Court of Appeals in the case of "Warn vs MY Maridome".

It all goes back to an accident that occurred in the night of September 3rd, 1995 in the harbour of Poros, Greece. That night a tender from the Maridome brought some passengers and crew from the Maridome to the harbour. The yacht was moored outside.

During that transport, the tender hit a metal construction in the harbour with the tragic result that Nicholas Warn, George Stathopoulos, Andres Brigman and Simon Willshaw died in that accident while Richard Brooks was severely injured. Warn, Willshaw and Brooks were crewmembers of the Maridome while Stathopoulos and Brigman were guests onboard.

The later investigation showed that the tender and her passengers were on their way to a disco and that the pilot of the tender was drunk and was driving the tender too fast.

After this very tragic accident, the families of the victims began a fierce legal battle and already on September 5th, 1995 the vessel Maridome was placed under arrest (was seized) after a decision by a Greek Court in Piraeus. Only after a bail of US$ 400.000 was paid, could Maridome leave Greek territory on September 18th.

Subsequently, the legal proceedings before the courts in Greece were halted and a new lawsuit was started before a judge in San Diego on October 17th, 1996.

This new lawsuit in the USA was conducted against the owner Maridome Marine Limited and her Captain James Boos. The yacht was once again seized and arrested and was only able to leave US-waters after a bail of US$ 15.000.000 was paid !

The judicial decision that is known to me is not a final decision, so I do not know the eventual outcome of the case.
Posted by Hendrik | 05/09/2003 @ 12:00 | Reply
In 1994, unfortunately a professional diver died in Palma de Majorca while working under Lady Moura, because suddenly the engines were started. As it was said, the officer on duty was not informed of the diver.

On July 8, 1996, Princess Tanya survived distress at sea some 40 seamiles off Portofino. On board were 10 guests and 17 crew members. In rough sea, a wave set the rudder out of order. Moreover, one of her two engines also stopped working. Thus, the captain was no longer able to manoeuvre her. While the waves increased up to more than six meters, an Italian ferry and a towboat came along to help, and so did a helicopter of the Italian coast guard. It took some seven hours to rescue her, and luckily no one was hurt.

In 2000, several smaller yachts were said to have fallen off transport ships in rough sea. In addition, in that year, Tigre d?Or was damaged when trying to leave St. Maarten harbour though there were strong winds.

Even more, in 2000 a fire burnt down a hall of Oceanfast shipyard in Henderson, Australia. Not only the hall was destroyed, but a new construction, ordered by a Greek shipowner, became a victim of the flames, too. Anyway, Bolkiah (now True Blue), which was lying there for a refit, was not harmed.

On September 7, 2000, Auriga, a 30m-Baglietto, crashed into the port side of catamaran ferry Milenium at 21.31 h at 39? 32? N and 2? 21`E, south-east off Majorca. The ferry, with 143 passengers on board, was at this moment at a speed of 38 knots. Auriga, sticking in the ferry?s hull, heeled over so that the furniture flew through the yacht. It was reported that eight people were hurt by that. After that, her bow broke off. The rescue ship Castell de Belver arrived and took the injured persons with her. Auriga could only be rescued, because a towboat helped her out by pumping the water out of her hull and taking her into the harbour of Palma. There, a provisional blunt bow was welded by Astilleros de Majorca. The rest of the story was a case for the lawyers, fighting out the different interests of the owners, the towboat?s owner and the insurance companies. I guess that, by rumors, the 30m-Baglietto Auriga became bigger and bigger, until she ended up as 80m-Oceanco Constellation. Or are we really talking about two different accidents between a yacht and a ferry off the coast of Majorca in recent years ???

In 2001, Tigre d?Or again suffered an accident. In rough sea in the Biscaya, the gangway door at the stern sprang open. The incoming water mixed with fuel for the jet-skis, and an explosion followed. The pumps were not able to fight the incoming water so that the rudder went out of order. A new pump was brought by a helicopter, but this pump was out of order !!! Anyway, the helicopter flew the four female crew members and the slightly injured engineer off the yacht. Altogether, it took another two and a half days, until a towboat was able to take her to Brest.

I haven?t read it, but there is also a book on the market dealing with the dark side of yachting. It is called "Megayacht - True stories of Adventure, Drama and Tragedy at Sea" by Buddy Haack and Doug Hoogs, published in 2000.
Posted by Yachtspotter | 05/08/2003 @ 12:00 | Reply
Saharet burned this last week in the harbour of Beaulieu-sur-Mer. This yacht is a Lavagna Admiral built in 1971. The length is about 30 meters. All the superstructure looks completely destruct. No idea of the reason of this accident.
Posted by Yachtspotter | 04/15/2003 @ 12:00 | Reply
Al Mansur, the Saddam Hussein's yacht sunk at the end of March. Al Mansur was on a River, to moor her far from the coasts. But finally she was destructed by bomb attacks. Now she's grounded in the middle of this river. For information, Al Mansur mesured 394ft/121m in length and 7360 grt. She was built by Kvaerner Masa-Yards (then Wartsila Turku) in 1982 and delivered on March 26. Her design wasn't very attractive, like a cruise vessel with accommodation for 200 guests.
Posted by Christo303 | 04/07/2003 @ 16:00 | Reply
The large Oceanco was Constellation, the first of the Stargates that was delivered some years ago. She indeed ran into a ferry, I believe on Mallorca, a few years ago. And there was indeed some dispute about responsibility. I have also seen that message quite some time ago, it was on a website that has since ceased to exist. The same website also informed about an accident that involved the magnificent L?rssen Limitless.
Posted by Todd | 04/07/2003 @ 12:00 | Reply
There was a story I ran across online a couple of months ago but didn't save (now I wish I had) about a large Oceanco being involved in an accident. I can't find the story online anymore. I believe the yacht was one of the Stargate twins. According to the story the yacht accidentally rammed a loaded passenger ferry at cruising speed somewhere off the coast of Spain. Allegedly the yacht didn't stop to render assistant but fled... the author of the story was calling it the largest hit and run in history. Does anyone have any further information about this?
Posted by Dan | 04/06/2003 @ 12:00 | Reply
Three Denison yachts sunk.

The first to sink was the 100ft For Your Eyes Only. On Nov 23, 1987 the yacht left Hillsboro Beach, FL for a short trip to the Bahamas. The seas were rough and while passing through the inlet into the Atlantic, the vessel hit a sandbar which cracked the housings for the waterjets causing water to flood the engine room. The yacht did take on water through the engine vents on her stern but it was determined that it was an insufficient amount to sink the vessel. For Your Eyes Only was raised, rebuilt and was for many years a successful charter yacht under the name Dynamo. She is still sailing today.

The second Denison to sink was the 106ft Lady Anna, a large sport-fisherman. I'm not sure on all the details but the yacht sank off the New Jersey coast and was never raised. There were strong rumors that it was a deliberate sinking so the owner could claim the insurance on the yacht.

Miss Turnberry sank on Dec 26, 1995 off St Kitts. The crew noticed water in the engine room but despite their efforts, they could not discover the source of the flooding and the yacht sank about 2 hours after the water was discovered. There was a theory that the through-hull exhaust valve failed but I don't know if the actual cause has ever been discovered. Because of the depth of the water where she sank, Miss Turnberry was never raised.

The claim that Denison yachts were poorly constructed was largely the result of a lawsuit brought by the owner of For Your Eyes Only after the sinking that never went to trial. The actual causes of the sinking cleared the builder but by that time, they had lost so many contracts due to the bad publicity that they were forced to file for bankruptcy.
Posted by Paul Walter | 04/05/2003 @ 12:00 | Reply
In 1965 or 1966 the Carinthia V rammed a rock, which wasn't mentioned in the map, in front of Corfu, Greece and sunk on her first voyage. A few days later Mr. Helmut Horten ordered Carinthia VI. Does anyone has a picture of Carinthia V? She must looked like Carinthia VI.
Posted by Dan | 03/09/2003 @ 12:00 | Reply
On April 13, 2001 (for those superstitious ones, it was a Friday), the 122ft Azimut built yacht Frosty's Sleigh rammed and sank a 45ft dive boat and then proceeded to crash into a bridge. The yacht was southbound on the Intercoastal Waterway near Ft Lauderdale when, around 4pm, the captain made a turn to dock the yacht along side a local restaurant. While maneuvering, the yacht went out of control and struck a dive boat which was docked nearby, sinking it. Frosty's Sleigh then continued northward and hit the Dania Beach Blvd. bridge and became stuck under the center span. The yacht was pulled away from the bridge by a tug later that day, but she had suffered extensive damage to her wheelhouse and hull. Fortunately, there where no injuries and the yacht has apparently been fully repaired. The cause of the accident was reported to be a failure of the engine controls.
Posted by Christo303 | 03/07/2003 @ 12:00 | Reply
Here is another one : the accident with the L?rssen Ontario, ex - Falco, ex - Malaana. On August 2, 2000, at 0530 hrs the MY Ontario reported that she had run aground in lat. 36 31N, long. 27 52E and that she was experiencing water ingress and listing as a result of striking a rocky bottom! Ontario had at that moment 13 persons onboard and was stuck and awaiting the arrival of divers to conduct a survey. Her engine room had flooded. This accident happened off an uninhabited islet south of Symi, near Rhodes. Of the 13 passengers and crew, 9 were taken off, leaving only the Captain and four others. A tug from Tsavliris Salvage International Ltd, named Eleftheria, offered assistance to the yacht. On August 3, Lloyd?s Standard Form was signed with Tsavliris Salvage. On August 11 the yacht was still aground with no change in the situation : she suffered a flooded engine room, water ingress and a 20? list to starboard. Later the yacht was freed and towed back. After this accident she was taken to HDW in Kiel for a very big repair and refit and was launched again quite some time later. Today she is in pristine condition and can be seen at port Pierre Canto. Fortunately no one was injured because of the accident.
Posted by Yachtspotter | 03/06/2003 @ 12:00 | Reply
Well, I begin. Last summer, the yacht named John-John struck a sailing ship at full speed. The facts occurred saturdays June 23, 2002 at the beginning of evening off Esterel breadth (between Cannes and St Raphael). The yacht of 103ft/31.6m built by Lavagna did not have time to avoid a small sailing ship of 26.3ft/8m which sailed in the opposite direction. The shock was terrible and the sailing ship was crushed and sunk instantaneously in more than 300m of depth. On the two passengers of the sailing ship (a couple of around fifty years) only the body of the woman was found. The body of the owner of the sailing ship was never found. Only few pieces of the sailing ship could be found to serve the investigation...
Posted by Christo303 | 03/05/2003 @ 12:00 | Reply
Fellow spotters, let me pose you all another question. We've all been discussing the great things about yachts : the new designs, the big projects, the beautiful boats... But there is also another side to this shiny medal : not all news about yachts is good news. Bad things do happen, yachts are involved in accidents, accidents occur onboard, yachts are involved in scandals, yachts are seized by government officials for breaking the law, owners getting in prison... We all know about fires onboard with Huntress, Aviva, Ulysses, the sinkings of Shiralee, Edgewater, the deadly accident with Maridome, the accident with Destiny Langkawi, the seizure of Virginian in Barbados... I regret that the yacht magazines only bring the good news about the yachts and never this "darker" side. I think that those unfortunate happenings involving the boats we'll are impassioned with, can and should be known and I invite you all to share your knowledge on these "unhappy events".
© 2002/06 - v2.0